Miles Lunn's Views on the Issues

The viewpoints of political blogger Miles Lunn. I am a Liberal Blogger who comes from the Classical Liberal side of the Liberal Party of Canada. I am also a member of the BC Liberals at the provincial level. I am a staunch defender in individual freedom as well a believer in smaller more efficient government.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A viewpoint from an independent minded classical liberal who believes in the values of individual freedom and smaller government. An opinionated blog who is not afraid to tell it like he sees it.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Role of government

Okay, now that I have set up my new blog on the issues, I will try whenver possible to each day give my viewpoint on a different issue. I thought a good starting point would be to give my view on what the role of government should be both here in Canada and more specifically here in BC.

I believe government plays a very important role in any society, however all too often governments get involved in areas where they really shouldn't be involved. More importantly when there is a problem that needs fixing, often the solution considered as another government program or more government intervention when in fact some of our problems are caused by too much government as opposed to too little. Now I don't support the Libertarian view that we should essentially strip government right down to its bare minimum, but neither do I support the conventional view that our present government is at its optimal size.

For me government has three primary purposes which it should base its decision to intervene or not intervene around

1. To protect and defend the rights of all Canadians both from governments and other individuals who wish to infringe on their rights.

2. To provide programs that are essential to the country's well being and to help those who cannot help themselves.

3. To intervene in the market only in areas where the free market doesn't work and cannot work.

These are three important guiding principles that I apply to each government program to decide whether the government ought to be involved or not. Now I realize nothing is black and white and therefore from time to time, I may go against these principles if there is a compelling reason to do so. I also understand that others may have different views as to what defines a market failure or not, when is one interferring with another person's rights or not, and who are those that cannot help themselves.

The issue on divisions of power is something I will discuss later. My next topic will be on health care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home